How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello, I would be grateful if you could direct me from here.

Customer Question

hello, I would be grateful if you could direct me from here. I own one small flat but live in a rented one. From day 1 last year I offered it to my brother and his girlfriend with their new born baby as they were no place to live. I only asked for reimbursement of my costs eg mortgage interest, CT etc as I felt I had to help them as a sister. No agreement was drawn up. My brother doesnt pay me regularly and there are arrears of min.?4000. It doesnt matter however as I know he will try to pay me back when he can. Last time he paid was over a month ago.The problem is that they have split up and she announced she got a new boyfriend but she still occupies the flat and my brother lives with me. I would like to give her a written notice to leave. i know she has an empty flat in Europe.I feel she is playing games as she doesnt want tell what she is planning in a future or if she is going to leave. She can also guess I dont want her there as due her overall attitude as well.Many Thanks.BP
Submitted: 5 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi BP,


Did you agree to a fixed term at the time you let them occupy the premises or was it merely informal (ie. from month to month or just as long as they would need it)?


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tom,

It was merely informal, I told my brother to evaluate the situation in a year or so. I considered it a favour for my brother as they have a baby and even if he never paid me the arrears in full it wouldnt matter. I hoped that he would pay me more money though (like a market value) but he still owes me for at least 6 months in total plus other loans. His girlfriend was never interested in how much the flat cost. My brother can however sign a backdated agreement AST if necessary but I dont know if it could be in his own name only or if it applies to our situation. She was trying for some government benefits before but w think she did not receive any. I cannot pretend I want to move into my flat as I run my own small business from home in the rented flat I have always lived in, because I cannot change the address (business correspondence from HMRC on a daily basis). As my brother and his girlfriend have split up, they can't live together now. She is going abroad at the end of Dec and comes back probably mid Jan. My brother is ready to pack her staff (even with a piece or 2 of furniture) and send it by courier to her flat in Europe, or alternatively to keep it safely in a friend's garage for some time. My intention is to let the flat out as soon as possible to recover some money. regards

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi BP.

There is no point signing a backdated AST, this wouldn't be legally enforceable.


Her status is probably one of licensee, in that you permitted them a licence to occupy the premises. In the absence of any agreement to the contrary you will be bound to give her "reasonable notice". To be safe this would probably be 2 months.


You should give this to her in writing by registered post referring to her status as being on licence and giving her two months notice stating when the notice should run from and to. Allow for 3 working days posting and keep proof of postage. State that you will apply for a Court order for possession if she does not vacate. If she doesn't vacate then you will have to make this application.


I wouldn't do anything with her personal items or change the locks as you would run the risk of this being an illegally eviction and she could sue you for the loss she suffers.


If she agrees to vacate earlier and asks for her items to be couried, get it in writing.


If this is useful please click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you very much for your answer. I will get in touch again if I need to ask a follow up question.


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Feel free to.

Thanks for your kind accept.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Aston Lawyer

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
< Last | Next >
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years exeperience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers: