Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am being lied to, either by the estate agents or the landlord.

Customer Question

I feel I am being lied to, either by the estate agents or the landlord. The verbally agreed terms, prior to my occupation of a recently agreed 6 month assured tenancy, have not been honored by the agents/landlord and I now wish to contact the landlord directly. I do not trust the estate agents. I also signed a contract being assured that this was for 12 months, and find that the paper document I signed was still actually for 6 months. When my son and I moved in, we also discovered that the re-painting touch/up had not been done and the (white?¿) carpets!) had not been professionally cleaned as agreed. The inventory we were sent was clearly an inventory that related to a previous tenancy, with a number of items missing. We were handed the defective inventory at the same time as picking up the keys. One month ago. The estate agents continue to be offensive and evasive. Do I have the right to find out the contact details of my landlord? How can I protect myself from devious ways to deduct monies from my deposit?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

HI,

Yes, you have a righ tot know the landlord's address under s1 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 if you request it in writing. If the landlord does not provide this in 21 days then they are guilty of a summary offense, which is a crime.

Practically speaking it may be quicker to merely look up the registered title to the property at the land registry. This will tell you who owns the freehold interest in the property (or the long leasehold interest in the flat). Enter the address of the property on the following website and pay a £4 fee to download a copy of the register.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tom - please send me the website address to get a copy of the register. Does this give the current address of the landlord? and/or contact number? Do you have any other tips to protect me from fraudulent withholding of my deposit or parts thereof, at the end of the contract? I do not trust the estate agents, since if they lie about the small stuff, they may lie about the big stuff. Also, when a property is advertised as 'furnished' is the landlord bound to provide decent mattresses? the estate agents said I accepted a property 'as seen' but I did not 'see' the mattresses, as there were tenants in the property when it was viewed. Now I find the mattresses are not even items I would ask a dog to sleep on. :) The springs are like metal pincers, and they smell. Frankly.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.