Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i am looking to rent a business unit over a period of five

i am looking to rent a business unit over a period of five years with deposit of 2000 rent abou 9999 per yr will get a few months rent free I need a solicitor and am not sure who specialises in this field and also how much that would cost
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your questions.

Almost all medium size high street practices will have a commercial property department who deal with grant of lease like yours. Each solicitor in those departments will specialize in this field. You can use the following Law Society website search engine to find a list of firms near you. You can then check the firm's page to see the size. Select your postcode and "commercial properly" as the area of law from the drop down menu:-

If you let me know your local area I will see if I can recommend a specific firm.

You should be looking at paying between £700-1,000.00 for them to act on your behalf and I would try and pin them down on a fixed fee. You will also require commercial searches of the local authority, water and drainage supplier together with an environmental search the total cost of which will be around £350 and a land registry fee of £50.00 to have the lease noted against the freehold title as a notice (if the landlord agrees). As the the term of the lease is less than 7 years it will not generate it's own separate land registry title.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,