How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7590
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if a sibling holds the deeds to land which is shared with another

Resolved Question:

if a sibling holds the deeds to land which is shared with another sibling can the deed holder be pressurised to hand them over (the other sibling lives abroad )
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Do you know if the property is registered?


When and how did they acquire the property?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the land is registered in both names and they inheirted it legally three years ago which was released by the trustees which were their parents
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



If the property is registered, what "deeds" are you referring to?


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the land deeds to the field
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

If the property is registered and the field is included in the registered title by way of being in the area edged red on the filed plan to the title then there are no relevant deeds.


The Land Registry Official Copies of the registered title are evidence of your ownership and are what have replaced old style deeds from when an unregistered system of land ownership was in placed. Upon registration the old deeds would have been sent to the LR, who would create the registered title and then destroy the old deeds after noting the relevant entries from them.


You can check by downloading a copy of the register for the property from the Land Registry by paying a £4.00 fee:-


If you cannot find the land in the above way then you will have to submit Form SIM to the LR (available for download from the LR website) showing the land on a map. THey will then tell you if it is registered.


If the property is not registered then you will have take action to get the deeds, first by a solicitor writing to the sibling and then by applying to Court if necessary.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions