How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi if I gave some money to a relation to buy a property/land

This answer was rated:

Hi if I gave some money to a relation to buy a property/land in the canaerys ie Furtuventura can I be named as the owner regards XXXXX esq



What is agreed that you would be co-owner or would retain some interest in the property?


Was the transfer of money understood to be a loan or a gift?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tom It was understood that I would be sole owner neither a loan or gift but a fund to purchase some land / an agreement between mother and son regards

Hi Mj,


Why then are you not registered as owner of the property?


Has the transaction actually completed?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry been out to Weston beach race It seems that only a resedent of the Canerys with a NEAF number can buy / We think completion is done

Does that mean you no longer require my attention and wish to request a refund?


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No please help




You're going to have to speak to a lawyer in the Canary Islands about the registration of the property and any options open to you. Do this immediately. Call the UK Embassy there and ask if there is a law society/regulatory authority to which they can refer you.


If the person has bought the land in their name outside your instructions then it seems to me that your likely to have to make some form of application to Canarian Court in respect of the purchase of the property.


If there are no options available to you in the Canary Islands then you are left with the prospect of having to sue the person here in the UK and you will have to take specific advice from a UK litigation solicitor.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you