Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

We want to do a long term AST for a property we want to rent

We want to do a long term AST for a property we want to rent from a landlord. Ideal for us is to rent for two year period without giving the landlord an option to break. Is this possible in an AST?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Yes, it's perfectly possible. There is nothing in law preventing such a AST and in fact this is quite common.

A Landlord would not be able to resist your request on the grounds of it being not legally possible but it is obviously a matter of what you can negotiate with the landlord. They may seek detailed references or proof of income if you wish to receive a tenancy on those terms.

It's a matter of negotiation, not law.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,