How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7569
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good afternoon I have just paid off my mortgage on the 31/8/10

Resolved Question:

Good afternoon
I have just paid off my mortgage on the 31/8/10 it was with Nationwide Building society. They have notified me stating they do not hold the deeds to my property and have pointed out that I have to obtain them from the Land Registery people. I have applied and paid £16.00 for an offical copy of my deeds and the land one. Is this correct please and will these documents be equal and legal as the original ones
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Yes, "deeds" were the original sale documents used in the old unregistered system. The system of registering properties at the land registry replaced this and now the LR Official Copies are your evidence of title to prove you own the land. This is what you will need when you come to sell the land.

This is quite normal, nothing to worry about at all.


If the charge in favour of Natiowide is still registered against the property then you should contact them again and ask them to submit an Electronic Notification of Discharge to the LR so that the charge is removed.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards.


Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions