Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi, I have received information from the Land Registry that

I have received information from the Land Registry that a piece of land I am interested in is 'No registered estate, has no caution against first registration or application for a caution against first application or application for first registration'. The Land Registry, therefore, holds no records. How would I proceed with a view to ownership of this land?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Have you been using the land as your own for any period of time?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I source land for developers and spotted this piece of wooded land which appears not to be used for much, if anything.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any knowledge of who owns land around the area in question?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom,

There is a row of dwellings to one side. To the opposite side there are 3 or 4 older houses.

To the other two sides there are roads.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Right. You're going to have to find the owner to approach them about buying the land.

The difficulty with unregistered land is that the evidence of the title is not centrally held anywhere that you can approach, the evidence of title is the actual historic conveyances from when the property was previously sold and bought. The owner can direct where these deeds are held, or they would have been placed with the lender holding a mortgage over the property.

I would start by asking the owners of the properties nearby if they are aware of who the owner is, if they are not then ask about previous land estates in the area who might have owned it once or would know who does now.

Concurrently you can contact the local authority about the land and ask them to check their records for any land charges or other records indicating ownership. They may cite confidentiality, but you can politely ask them to be an intermediary and contact the owner to make them aware of you interest.

You can also contact other local institutions (eg. solicitor's firms, church, pubs etc) to see if anyone there knows.

Failing all that you could place an advert in the local paper requesting that the owner contact you.

You might also consider performing index map searches of the land registry for adjacent land until you hit upon some that is registered and then approach the owner of that land to see if they have any info. You can do this by submitting Form SIM (available from the LW website) attaching a map with areas edged red.

It might be frustrating I'm afraid.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor