Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i own a beauticians in a building that is owned by landlords

i own a beauticians in a building that is owned by landlords who have the hairdressers below.am i entitled to have a key to the electric fuse boxes? my landlord keeps turning off gas and electric when i am in the building so i cannot work.The door used to be unlocked but now the lock it up so i cannot turn my electric back on.I am up to date with all rents and service charges of gas and electric.I also work hours outside the landlords opening hours which they agreed to yet changed their mind in april, despite them allowing me to put a sign with my hours on their building and fitting me an alarm outside my room door.where do i stand with regs to health and safety, i rang them but they said consult a solicitor.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Do you have a written lease which permits you quiet enjoyment of the premises? It should be one of the landlord's covenants.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i do have a lease and they are unable to enter without giving us 24 hrs notice but they come and go as they please havent fixed the heating for 2 years the list is endless but i am more concerned about them locking the door to the fuses as they switch them off so i cannot work.i need to know by law if i should be allowed access to this fuse box? thank you.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Check your lease. There will be a number of clauses in it relating to the landlord's covenants. Below the covenant that he should allow you quiet enjoyment of the property there should be one relating to the landlord permitting the services (which should defined and will include electricity) to be made available to you.

You should write to him holding him in breach of this covenant and asking that he remedy it by making the electricity available to you in the new business hours your are trading within 7 days of the date of the letter. If he does not comply then you should go a the solicitor who acted in the lease and ask him to write to them and possibly take further enforcement action after that.

If there is a stipulation in the lease restricting your business hours to those when the landlord is making electricity available then this could complicate matters a little, but you can argue that he has permitted this breach or agreed to a variation of the terms by otherwise allowing you to trade during these hours (albeit without electricity)

If there a number of other breaches outstanding then include these and use the ones that you care less about as leverage for those that you do.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor