How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7528
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi i am at present separating from my wife and she is taking

This answer was rated:

i am at present separating from my wife and she is taking over the mortgage of the house. However, i also need to change the name on the property title deeds (take my name off). I have completed a TR1 form and had that witnessed by a company director friend.
I am now told that i need to complete a ID1? and produce my passport or similar and have it witnessed that it is a true likeness of me etc
do i need to use a solicitor for this? or can i use the same person who signed my TR1.
many thanks



Is she remortgaging in her sole name and has she shown sufficient income in her sole name to receive her mortgage offer from her lender yet?


Are you to divorce?


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.



she is remortgaging in her sole name, she has received an offer from the provider but they need me to transfer the property over first !!


I obvioulsy want to keep my costs down, so am seeing if i can complete the transfer without the need to pay a local solicitor


not going to divorce at this stage - just separate


Thank you



Are you sure that the mortgage company are happy for you to execute the transfer and register without instructing your solicitor?


Their new charge will need to be registered against the legal title post-transfer and they would usually require a licensed conveyancer to do this to ensure that their charge is secure by correct registration


OR are you in fact executing the transfer and simply providing this to the lender who will then register the transfer themselves?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.



My wife has a conveyancer acting on her behalf and they have written to me with regard to the transfer


I have already completed a TR1 form and they accepted that, however they have come back to me asking for certified copies of identification from me. What i am trying to establish is who can certify these copies. They say either a copy of my passport or driving licence stamped/signed.


Does this make sense?





Hi Mark,


Great, that's cleared things up for me. I just needed to make sure you were not registering it yourself.


If the conveyancer is instructed by your wife and not you then you will have to complete form ID1 and return it to them for submission with the application to change the register for the property.. You will have to submit this with a passport size photograph and a conveyancer must complete section B of the form but also certify the likeness of the photograph. It does not have to be your wife's conveyancer but it does have to be a conveyancer:-

See 7.1 & 7.2 of the above guidance.


Phone a local conveyancer and ask for them to do it on your behalf. It will only take 10 mins and should not really cost more than £20-30.00. You can use the Law Society search engine to find conveyancers in your area:-


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions