Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

am i likely to get a mortgage on a leasehold property with

am i likely to get a mortgage on a leasehold property with only 51 years left to run?

The property is going to auction with a guide price of £50,000.

There is an exisiting leaseholder but it has not been possible to establish the freeholder. it is understood that ground rent has not been collected for a number of year.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that most lenders will not usually lend on leases which have less than 60 or 70 years to run. There are some lenders (though not the generally the main ones) whose criteria is that the minimum unexpired term required is the mortgage term plus around 25-30 years it's possible depending on the length of the term of the mortgage.

I would certainly make inquiries prior to auction and only bid if you find a lender who is willing to lend.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,