How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother has just announced he wants to force a sale of our

Resolved Question:

My brother has just announced he wants to force a sale of our shared house. He has not lived in the house for several years nor contributed to the mortgage payments. I have paid him out 2 years ago on an agreed amount but his name is XXXXX XXXXX the deeds and mortgage. He wishes to rmove his name and although I have tried to take the mortgage on solely I cannot currently do this because of negative equity etc.

Can he force a sale and will I lose my/our house?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


I'm afraid that your brother can make an application to Court to force the sale of the property by way of a Court Order. Although you would be able to make representations as to why it should not be sold in practice these orders are seldom refused.


Unless there was an agreement to the contrary as to the extent of your interests in the property then there is a presumption that you hold 50:50 shares.


If the house is in negative equity though then you should try to reason with him by stating that the mortgage company will seek to recover the arrears from both you and him. You should try and persuade him to remain on the mortgage for the time being until the property has recovered in value and is no longer in negative equity.


This will afford you time to re-finance and, if possible, obtain a mortgage offer at a later date. State that if you cannot do this at the point in time when the property is no longer in negative equity then you will consent to the sale so that he will not have to incur the expense and stress of instructing a solicitor to prepare the application to Court and having a hearing.


Hopefully he will see the logic of this way forward for you both but the basic position is that he can make an application to Court for an order for sale.

Sorry it could not be better news.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

For clarification...


I have paid him out on an agreed amount already and his aim is to remove his name from the mortgage. Can he can still force a sale by applying to the courts? How long will this process take and if we have a secured loan on the property which has both of our signatures will he be subject to this also?





Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi Nathan ,


You may have paid him the amount already, but because he was not removed from the title to the property (or the mortgage) he would still be able to make an application to the Court. They are not keen on people remaining on the title/mortgage to a property if they do not wish to.


The mortgage and any secure loan will be repaid from the proceeds of sale.


It depends on how busy the Court is where the application is made but you would expect a hearing within 6 weeks of the application being made.


Appeal to his sense of financial prudence and ask that he wait until the property recovers some of its value, selling now (whether upon order of the court or not) suits no-one.


I hope this clarifies, if so please click accept.


Kind regards,



JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981