Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

do you need a solicitor present when signing a commercial

do you need a solicitor present when signing a commercial lease

Do you mean in the sense that "does my signature to the lease need to be witnessed by a solicitor in order to be enforceable and legally binding upon me" or "is it advisable to have a solicitor to negotiate the lease itself and advise me of its effect".

Kind regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes that is the answer i need

It is advisable to instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf to negotiate the lease itself and to explain fully the effects of entering in to it to you. They are complicated documents which will bind you to there terms and it's important that you fully understand your responsibilities under it before executing it.

That being said, it is not a legal requirement for you to have a solicitor in order to execute a lease. Your signature must be witnessed by a witness (who does not necessarily need to be a solicitor) who also signs before printing their name address and occupation.

However, if you are not to have statutory right to renewal upon the fixed term of the lease expiring then you will have to swear a statutory declaration in front of a solicitor or commissioner for oaths.

If you sign a lease without taking legal advice but you do have your signature witnessed then it will be binding on you.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,