Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Tenant has failed to pay rent. Now four months in arrears -

Tenant has failed to pay rent. Now four months in arrears - notice to quit has been issued and has now expired. What do we do now to regain occupancy of property?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

You've got to obtain an order for possession from the Court. This is an Order from a Judge which requires the tenant to vacate. If they do not then you can ask for a warrant for exection from the Court so that their Bailiffs remove the tenant.

If you have a written tenancy agreement for an assured shorthold tenancy agreement and a copy of the notice then you can use the acceleratede possession procedure so that the order is made without the need for a formal Court hearing. You will have to complete a form and submit it to Court and I attach the relevant link to Her Majesty's Courts Service page for the form:-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/housing/landlords/accelerated/index.htm

You will also see that there are some guidance notes on the form. If you run in to difficulty you can just call your local Court about completing the form - they are usually pretty helpful, particulaly with lay persons.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom