Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Tenant has failed to pay rent. Now four months in arrears -

Tenant has failed to pay rent. Now four months in arrears - notice to quit has been issued and has now expired. What do we do now to regain occupancy of property?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

You've got to obtain an order for possession from the Court. This is an Order from a Judge which requires the tenant to vacate. If they do not then you can ask for a warrant for exection from the Court so that their Bailiffs remove the tenant.

If you have a written tenancy agreement for an assured shorthold tenancy agreement and a copy of the notice then you can use the acceleratede possession procedure so that the order is made without the need for a formal Court hearing. You will have to complete a form and submit it to Court and I attach the relevant link to Her Majesty's Courts Service page for the form:-

You will also see that there are some guidance notes on the form. If you run in to difficulty you can just call your local Court about completing the form - they are usually pretty helpful, particulaly with lay persons.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,