Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I issued a 6 month tenancy agreemnt on 29th June 2009. The

I issued a 6 month tenancy agreemnt on 29th June 2009. The agreement ended on the 28th December 2009. I have not issued another agreement to the tenant, nor have I given them notice to quit. As my circumstances have now changed I need to gain possession of the property (i have never lived in the house, nor do I intend to). Is the agreement now classed as periodic? And can I give notice to quit in line with the 4 weekly rental period.

Margaret Watkinson
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Yes, the agreement is now a statutory periodic tenancy which means that it continues from one rent period to the next (ie. montly if the rent is paid monthly.

I'm afraid that you are still required to serve a s21 Housing Act notice upon the tenant giving two months notice with such notice to expire one the final day of a rent period. It is very important that you serve the notice in the correct formate and you can download a version of it here:-

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,