Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My landlord did not put my deposit or my housemates deposit

My landlord did not put my deposit or my housemates deposit into a 3rd party deposit holding scheme and is now refusing to return the money to us and has failed to do so after being moved out of the property for 1 one month. What are my (and my housemates) options?

Did you occupy the property under an assured shorthold tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i believe so, but im not 100% as i dont have the contract we signed in front of me. but we did sign a contact

How much was the annual rent?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
£520 between 3 people a month.

Right. It will be an assured shorthold tenancy agreement unless you received a notice before you executed the agreement which specifically stated that it was not to be an AST.

All deposits under ASTs have to be lodged with a tenancy deposit scheme. If it has not been then you are eligible to make an application to Court for the return of the whole of the deposit and a fine payable from the landlord to you of three times the deposit amount .

Specifically request details of the TDS into which the landlord lodged it. If he cannot provide this then you need to go and see a local landlord and tenant solicitor about making an application to Court for the aforementioned monies.

You can L&T solicitors in your area by using the following Law Society search engine:-

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,