Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i signed a deed of surrender on a property i had leased, now

i signed a deed of surrender on a property i had leased, now the landlord has issued an invoice for electricity he forgot to charge for. there were 2 supplys into the property and as far as i am concerned i was paying for all i was using. am i right to refuse to pay these extra charges that have arisen through his mistake? thank you
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If the charges related to electricity bills which were properly payable under the terms of your Lease up to the date of surrender of the lease then he is not prevented from seeking to recover these from you despite the lease now being surrendered I'm afraid.

If the bills relate to electricity which you were not bound to pay under the terms of the lease then obviously you do not have to pay them.

The issue is identifying whether you would have to have paid the bills he is seeking to claim for now when you were actually the tenant of the lease.

Sorry I cannot be more definitive than that.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have paid all demands for electricity that were presented to me during the term of the lease and assumed it was for all i was using surely i cannot be liable for hte landlords mistake?

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

The lease would have contained a covenant to you to pay all utilities provided to the demised premises (ie the part of the property which you had a leasehold interest). This would ceased once the Lease was surrender, but your obligation to pay any arrears which related to the time in which you were the tenant would remain payable by you (because at the time you were the tenant).

I am somewhat surprised that the landlord consented to the surrender with arrears on the account, he could have demanded that they be cleared as a condition of his consent to surrender - but it does not prevent him from claiming them from you after surrender if they do actually relate to utilities you used when you were the tenant and he would be able to sue you to recover the money and his costs for issuing.

I hope this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Tom