How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7033
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is a student in London (our family lives in Brussels)and

Customer Question

My son is a student in London (our family lives in Brussels)and is renting an appartment through a contract which is still valid and his rent is paid until the 26 of this month. He was home visiting our family for a couple of weeks. He went back to London last night and found people in his appartment cleaning it and getting rid of his personal belongings because they were preparing the appartment for the NEW tenant. The landord said that she called my son but he did not answer his phone and went ahead and rented the appartment. She said that he did NOT inform her that he was going on holidays. Could you please let me know what are our rights in this case, according to the UK Law? Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Has he actually permitted the new tenants to have occupation of the property yet?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, he didn't even know that during his absence for holidays people were visiting the appartment without his permission.

He arrived at his appartment last night and there were workers in the appartment and wouldn't allow him to stay. They said that the new tenant was moving in TODAY. All his personal belongings were removed , he couldn't even get his things. I had to book a hotel for him which costed me GBP£491.12 for two nights.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Okay, firstly if your son has paid his rent until the end of his tenancy agreement then the landlord cannot permit occupation by another until the tenancy has expired and served a valid s21 Notice for Possession under Housing Act 1988 upon your son. He has a right to quiet enjoyment of the property until, at least, the end of the fixed term.


He will be able to sue the landlord to recover the loss suffered as a result of the landlord reaching his right to quiet enjoyment by permitted workers in and, if the tenant occupies today, a new tenant in the property. If the tenant does not occupy then your son should move back in for the remainder of the term of the tenancy.


You will be able to recover at least some of the money you have spent in arranging a hotel, although the amount for two nights does seem on the high side. After your son has recovered his possessions and moved back in (if he is able) then he should write a letter before action to the landlord giving the details of the issue and evidence of the loss you have suffered (receipt) and asking that he compensate him for the full amount within 7 days of the date of the letter. If the landlord suggests compromising on the figure then would negotiate - 1) to avoid the cost/stress of litigating and 2) because a court might very the amount you paid as on the high side and aware you less.


If he does not offer to pay then you will be force to issue in the small claims court,


If he cannot get back in to the property then you should move him in to cheaper accommodation until the term of the tenancy has expired and write as above but in respect of the additional money you have had to pay to house him until the term expires.


At the same times as writing to him ask for details of the tenancy deposit scheme in to which his deposit has been placed - if he is occupying the property under an assured shorthold tenancy then his deposit must have been put in to a scheme, if it has not your son will be able to sue the landlord for the return of all of the deposit and a fine payable from the landlord to him of three times the deposit amount.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,




Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7033
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

First of all I would like to say that it took me three hours to find hotel accommodation for my son, and I had to book for him the only one I found, otherwise he would have to sleep in the streets of London. It was not by choice I book something expensive but is was due to NO choice at all.

Second, I am surprised that the landlord is not subject to criminal charges for violating the asylum of a dwelling house (for which she was paid). I would consider what she did as "tresspassing" and as unlawful entry. Just because my son went for holidays, and did not answer his phione, the landlord has the "right" to regain possession of the appartment for which the rent was paid and the contract was still valid?

And what about my son's belongings?

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981