How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7032
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents have been living in mine & my husbands house for

Resolved Question:

My parents have been living in mine & my husbands house for approx 11 yrs now & for about the last 4-5 yrs my mother thinks its hers & has been trying to takeover - she is very manipulative & arguementative all the time & it's making me & my husband stresed/ill i've even got medication from the doctor & it's also been effecting my job.
they have the house to themselves til 6pm most days but still we feel like 'the lodgers' when we come home. She has taken over the living room now & makes it uncomfortable for us to share, so we spend our time in the small conservatory or our bedroom for some peace.
they pay no rent & have NO legal hold over the house as far as im aware unless you tell me the law says otherwise, they only pay 1/2 electric, gas & food bills but still complain about everything.
they've told us now they've contacted the housing people (presumably to be re-housed) but they say they need a letter from us saying we dont want them living there anymore but i dont know what the best words would be to put in the letter, can you advise please as we cant really go on living on egg shells or in this atmosphere anymore.
thank you mrs Axon - uk
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Are you asking how to evict them, or are you simply asking how to word the letter to the "housing people" (presumably your local authority's housing department)?


Have they shown you this requirement of the housing dept.? Eg. letter..



Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Hello Tom

I think we are asking how to word the letter correctly to the housing people. As all we've been told is that my father had contacted them and he has been told they will help them out of this situation if we write a letter explaining our side of the problem.

Look forward to your next reply.

Thank you

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



If you are just writing a letter to confirm you consider that you can no longer house them then something like this should suffice:-



Dear Sir or Madam




I write following my decision that our accommodation can no longer house my parents, INSERT NAMES, and upon their request to inform you of our decision. I own the freehold of the property with my husband and I attached Land Registry evidence of title for your information. The size of the house is such that it causes considerable tension and strain on our relationship, leaving very little living space where my husband and I can have any privacy.


I have given my parent's notice to vacate the property and this will expire on [INSERT DATE, at least one month). Please correspond with my parent as to their housing options at this address.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.



You should download a copy of the registered title for your property showing ownership from the following Land Registry website:-


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7032
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981