Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My parents have been living in mine & my husbands house for

My parents have been living in mine & my husbands house for approx 11 yrs now & for about the last 4-5 yrs my mother thinks its hers & has been trying to takeover - she is very manipulative & arguementative all the time & it's making me & my husband stresed/ill i've even got medication from the doctor & it's also been effecting my job.
they have the house to themselves til 6pm most days but still we feel like 'the lodgers' when we come home. She has taken over the living room now & makes it uncomfortable for us to share, so we spend our time in the small conservatory or our bedroom for some peace.
they pay no rent & have NO legal hold over the house as far as im aware unless you tell me the law says otherwise, they only pay 1/2 electric, gas & food bills but still complain about everything.
they've told us now they've contacted the housing people (presumably to be re-housed) but they say they need a letter from us saying we dont want them living there anymore but i dont know what the best words would be to put in the letter, can you advise please as we cant really go on living on egg shells or in this atmosphere anymore.
thank you mrs Axon - uk

Are you asking how to evict them, or are you simply asking how to word the letter to the "housing people" (presumably your local authority's housing department)?

Have they shown you this requirement of the housing dept.? Eg. letter..

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Tom

I think we are asking how to word the letter correctly to the housing people. As all we've been told is that my father had contacted them and he has been told they will help them out of this situation if we write a letter explaining our side of the problem.

Look forward to your next reply.

Thank you

If you are just writing a letter to confirm you consider that you can no longer house them then something like this should suffice:-

-----

Dear Sir or Madam

INSERT PROPERTY ADDRESS - NAME OF PARENTS

I write following my decision that our accommodation can no longer house my parents, INSERT NAMES, and upon their request to inform you of our decision. I own the freehold of the property with my husband and I attached Land Registry evidence of title for your information. The size of the house is such that it causes considerable tension and strain on our relationship, leaving very little living space where my husband and I can have any privacy.

I have given my parent's notice to vacate the property and this will expire on [INSERT DATE, at least one month). Please correspond with my parent as to their housing options at this address.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

-----

You should download a copy of the registered title for your property showing ownership from the following Land Registry website:-

https://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/portal/Property_Search

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom