Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

we were on a shorthold tenancy and were given 1 months notice

we were on a shorthold tenancy and were given 1 months notice to leave. We agreed to this and have done so. It is now 13 days since leaving (having asked on day 11 for information about the deposit) and we have received an invoice taking £700 out of our £800 deposit for work which substantially was not outside normal wear and tear. I have checked on Companies House and the company the invoice has been raised by does not exist. We also do not believe that the landlord held the deposit in a protection scheme (deposit given in November 2008).
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You've got to ask for details of the tenancy deposit scheme in to which the deposit was placed. If it was not placed in the scheme then you will be able to apply for the return of the deposit and a fine payable from the landlord to you of three times the deposit amount.

If they have placed the deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme then all schemes run a dispute resolution process which you can available yourself of.

Ask for details of the scheme and ask for details of the company's registration number as you cannot find it and are concerned with this element of financial uncertainty. State that if they do not confirm the details of the scheme within 7 days hen you will take legal advice. You may have to go to a local landlord and tenant solicitor to write a letter before action to them to prompt compliance (£40.00 approx).

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,