Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I have a cottage rented out on a one year Assured Shorthold

I have a cottage rented out on a one year Assured Shorthold Tenancy which ends on August 10 2010. Can I evict the tenant giving two months notice from July 10, without a specific reason? The tenant, who is unmarried bit with a 10-year-old daughter, pays the rent, but otherwise has little money, so does it matter that she may not easily be able to find alternative accomadation?

Thanks for your question.

If you wish for the tenant to leave upon the expiry of the fixed term then, yes, you must serve a s21 Notice giving two months notice and you need not give a reason. I would action this immediately (allowing three days for postage) and send it to the tenant by registered and it's very important that the notice is in the correct form.

You can pay for a template notice from any of the online document providers, these are perfectly fine:-

http://www.lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/eviction-notice-forms/

If you do not serve the notice or serve it late to the Tenant then they are not under a duty to leave when the term expires.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The expiry of the fixed term is August 10. If i give two months notice on July 10, then the date for eviction is September 10, a month after the conclusion of the fixed term. Is this in order?

Sorry, my mis-reading of the dates.

Yes, the earliest you will be able to require possession of the property from the tenant is September 10 providing you serve the notice appropriately this week as above.

If the tenant leaves upon expiry of the fixed of their own accord then there's no problem. Tenants are not required to serve notice on their landlord in order to leave upon the expiry of the fixed term.

Kind regards,

Tom