Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i am moving in with my partner and want to find out if he has

i am moving in with my partner and want to find out if he has any outstanding debts and if he has a second mortgage on his property
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You can check the registered title of his property by downloading a copy of the register from the Land Registry and paying a £4.00 fee:-

A second mortgage (ie. a "charge") would be registered against the title on the Charges Register as a "Resitriction", it would also list the lender in question.

If a creditor of your partner has applied to have a debt upon which they have received judgement registered against the property then this would also be listed in the charges register as a "Charging Order".

As to debts which are not secured against the property I'm afraid you will have to rely on the honesty of your partner. The creditors will not give away the details of any agreements they have with him because they are bound to the Data Protection Act.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,