Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, Im about to rent out a property without useing an agent.

Hi, I'm about to rent out a property without useing an agent. Can you tell me if an 'Assured shorthold tenancy agreement' thats been downloaded from the internet is a legally binding document and can you advise me the best site to get one. also can you advise me which tenency deposite scheme to use, Insurance-based or custodial ?

Any Guidance / advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, a document downloaded from the Internet will be a legally binding agreement provided it is executed correctly; signed appropriately by both parties and dated. You will also have to take responsibility for entering the correct details (address, term etc). If you do then it will be legally binding and you will be able to enforce it against your tenant without any problems.

LawPack I know are decent:-

Simply Docs, I've heard are fairly good:-

There is not a great deal of difference b/w custodial or insurance-based, though I would probably lean towards custodial because you have to pay a premium in an insurance-based as well as possibly actually transfer a disputed part of the deposit in to the scheme itself anyway and you can perhaps market better with a custodial: "I won't actually hold your money, a recognised scheme will" probably inspires a bit more confidence than insurance based.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up question.

Kind regards,