Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi, I rented a room in a property in which the landlady was

Hi, I rented a room in a property in which the landlady was a 'live-in' landlord. I left before my contract ended, though I did not actually sign the contract. The landlady is insisting I pay rent up to the end of my contract, but I can't afford it. Can she actually do anything legally? Thank you, Sarah.

Thanks for your question.

Yes, she can. She can sue you via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk for the rent you owe under the contract. I'm afraid that it does not matter that you did not actually sign the contract, by occupying the property you have impliedly contracted with her.There may be onerous terms in the contract which she would have difficulty enforcing, but rent is not one of them.

Your best way forward (if you think she'll actually issue a claim if you don't pay) is to acknowledge the debt but say that your a bit short at the moment and offer her a repayment plan by paying what you can not with more to follow incrementally later.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded or my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom