Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My lease has a clause which states - not at any time during

Customer Question

My lease has a clause which states - 'not at any time during said term to assign underlet or otherwise part with the possession of any part (as opposed to the whole of the demised premises) or the landlords fixtures & fittings therein contained.' Does this mean that no one flat (part of a joint freehold property) can be sub let?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

It means that the no part of the flat which is subject to the lease (the 'demised premises') can be sold or sublet. You could not, for example, sub-let (or sell) part of the flat to a lodger/purchaser.

Note it does not refer to subletting of the whole of the demised premises, so unless there is another provision covering the whole of the demised premises then sub-letting of a whole flat to a sub-tenant would be permitted under the terms of the lease.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received an dyou will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

One would expect the lease for the other flats in the property to have similar provison in them

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

You're very welcome and thank you for the kind accept.

I'd be hugely grateful if you were able to leave feedback.

Have a pleasant weekend.

Tom