Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My daughter is 33 and had Aspergers syndrome and is emotionally

My daughter is 33 and had Aspergers syndrome and is emotionally vulnerable. She has just met a divorced man smitten. She owns a flat and he is in local authority housing.What is the legal position should they eventually move in together and is there anything that can be done to ensure that her property is safe in the event that they split up?

Thanks for your question.

The best way forward is to enter in to a cohabitation agreement with him, this is a deed signed by both parties which states whether or not each party is to have/accrue an interest in the house. It will also deal with other things such as property bought during the course of the cohabitation, debts, budgeting and payment of outgoings.

In order for it maximum likelihood of standing up in court they should both take independent legal advice on the document and be completely honest with each other about what you both earn.

She should avoid him paying any more than his share of the household expense and certainly not allow him to cover the majority of the mortgage payments to be certain of avoiding the possibility of making a claim but, really, a cohabitation agreement is the best way forward.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,