Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

my husband died suddenly and unexpectedly intestate. We have

my husband died suddenly and unexpectedly intestate. We have one daughter aged 14 and all assets were in my husbands name. Do I need probate or is there an alternative route in law to ensure my daughter and I inherit our rightful assets.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Did you hold any assets jointly with your husband at all and what, roughly, is the value of his estate?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We have been married 20 years my husband was a businessman and held all assets in his name solely amd the estate is extensive as it is made up of numerous assets commercial and residential property portfolios, life assurance polices and oversea property in spain approx 5 million
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, in that case you will certainly require a grant of probate to deal in his estate because of the value of it. Given the size I would advise in the strongest possible terms that you instruct a probate solicitor to act on your behalf.

There are lots of organisational, procedural and administrative requirements and obligations to comply with if the estate is complicated and diverse as it sounds it is. You can find solicitors with probate departments in your area by using the following Law Society website:-

It really would be a very very big burden to bear were you to act on your own in administering his estate, being frank a lay person could create problems which may cost more in legal fees sorting out than it would using a solicitor/probate practitioner in the first place.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Edited by Thomas on 5/11/2010 at 6:50 PM EST