Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a tenant in a property. My initial rental agreement ran from April 2009 to April 2010

Customer Question

I am a tenant in a property. My initial rental agreement ran from April 2009 to April 2010. Before a new contract was signed we decided to move out. In the initial contract the notice was 3 months. Because the contract was not renewed I was under the impression that it was now a rolling contract and only 1 month notice was required. The landlord wants to withold the deposit on this basis. The landlord increased notified me of a rental increase 2 weeks before the agreement expired, although this was not the reason we decided to move out. Nevertheless I paid the increase.
Submitted: 4 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Can you confirm if this relates to a residential lease or a lease of commercial premises please.

Can you please also confirm the date the tenancy term expired and the date you actually moved out?

Thanks.

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom

Residential Let.

Tenancy ended 5th April 2010, nothing further was signed. Still in Property, paid up to date. Gave notice last week of intention to move out 5 June.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Right, and does your rent period run from 5th of each month to the fourth of the following month?

Please also state the precise date upon which you served your notice to vacate.

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom

Yes, I think that's correct. I pay a month up front on the 5th of every month. Basically the official written agreement has lapsed, but I've continued to pay as I should. I need to know whether I am within my rights to offer a months notice, or do I still need to give 3 months as stated in the written agreement that ended on 5th April.

My deposit is held in a deposit protection scheme and I suspect the landlord will not release it.

I sent him an email on May 10th indicating that I would move out in a months time.

Chris
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chris,

Okay.

You are now occupying the property under a statutory periodic tenancy, this means that the tenancy continues from one rent period to the next (ie. from 5th - 4th in your case) but otherwise on the same terms.

This means that he will not be able to enforce the three month notice period on you. However, in order for you to give a valid notice to quit the stat periodic tenancy you must give it to him in writing, with at least one month before it expires and must end at the end of a full rent period (ie. 4th). If you served the notice in effect on the 10th then you have not given a valid notice. You should therefore serve a further notice to vacate on him with such notice to expire on 4th of June.

He would be entitled to withhold an amount of the deposit equal for the extra month but not for the 3 months in total for his three month notice period.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI Tom

Thanks for that. I was under the impression I was occupying the property under a statutory periodic tenancy, so that confirms what I thought.

I'm not totally clear on the serving the notice.

Am I correct in understanding that if I serve official notice today that I am ending the statutory periodic tenancy, I am liable for paying rent until the 4th July? I am fully paid until 4th June. Or am I merely liable for the rent from the 4th of June to the [say] 11th if I serve official notice today?

Thanks for your help

Chris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ps

the deposit is equal to a month and a half rent, so is he entitled to 1 month of that?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your accept and kind bonus.

If you want to end the tenancy as soon as possible then you should serve a written notice on him asap (but certainly before 5th June) stating that you are giving him notice of termination of the statutory periodic tenancy and the notice shall expire on 4th July being the end of that months rent period. You will have to have paid rent until this time.

If you are paid until 4th June then the rent for the period 5th June - 4th July would still be payable by you and you can agree with your landlord that this should be deducted from the deposit if he is willing to.

A sundry point, but do you know if your deposit was lodged in a tenancy deposit scheme?

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the deposit is held in a scheme.

Any advice what is the best course of action? The trouble is that I am due to move to a new place in early June so it looks like I am going to be paying rent on two places. Obviously would like to avoid this if at all possible.

The other option is to leave it up to the arbitration service of the deposit scheme?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

There's very little you can do given that the notice you served at the end of last week is not valid.

If you can agree what should be deducted from the deposit with the landlord then there is no reason to use the scheme's dispute resolution process, which could result in a delay in the return of the deposit monies to you.

Good luck.

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom

Hope it is ok to still contact you through this.

I have just called the deposit protection scheme that my landlord specified was holding my contract. They have no record of the deposit.

Firstly, obviously if my landlord has protected the deposit he can be taken to court

But a more like scenario I suspect is that it might be held in a different one. If he has supplied me with incorrect details is this significant?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Chris,

It's fine, it's what you pay for after all.

He should have sent you details of the scheme, including a specific reference number for the deposit shortly after you occupied the premises. If he has not supplied you with the correct details but has deposited the scheme then this will not prejudice his rights significantly, you can make some noise about it and attempt to use it as leverage but he's likely to see through it.

The key is establishing if the deposit has actually been deposited in a TDS, specifically request in documented form (email, or possibly text) the reference number and scheme provider.

If he has not placed it you can apply to Court for the return of the whole deposit and a fine payable by him to you of three times the deposit amount. Plainly, you could use this as leverage, but you may just prefer to commence action for the fine and the deposit if it is (presumably) greater than the extra month's rent you will have to pay as discussed above.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom

Just found out that he only lodged the deposit with the DPS last week.

Where do you think we stand with this if it goes to ADR? Are they likely to rule in our favour given he has deposited the money outside the 14 day period?

Chris
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chris,

The scheme's dispute resolution doesn't deal with the return of the deposit and fine from the landlord. The only deal with disputes about the deductions from deposits lodged in the scheme.

If the landlord as lodged the deposit about three weeks later than required then you may have a case for the return of the deposit, maybe the fine as well but this is more open to argument based on the relatively small lapse in time from the required deposit date.

You can certainly use it as leverage in your rent dispute issue and I would put that to the landlord. If he doesn't modify his position as to see a local landlord and tenant solicitor for a free/fixed fee appointment about possibly making an application to Court for the return of the deposit and possible claim for the fine as well.

Good luck.

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Thomas

Deposit is now help in DPS, but he won't agree to using the ADR service to release it. My next move will have to be the courts to get it back.

Have you any advice - what are the steps?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.