How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7569
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my landlord is refusing to give my deposit back what can i

Resolved Question:

my landlord is refusing to give my deposit back what can i do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Has he said why he is refusing to give back your deposit?


Were you occupying the property under an assured shorthold tenancy and was the deposit lodged in a tenancy deposit scheme?


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes assurred shorthold tenancy deposit held by landlord,he said all was fin when i gave keys back and that he would be in touch regarding return of deposit after 6weeks of asking he said he had had estate agent in(whos hes best friend) and that i had damaged the property and left it in a state!!! after saying all was ok, i thought id have trouble bcos he was always moaning he was skint but goes on expensive hols and drives a jag!! and he knows im a single mum on benefits, i feel he has cooked up a way of getting out of returning my £1005 deposit which i owe to my dad who is disabilled and on pension, with hes estate agent friend

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thank for your reply. Right, the key is whether or not the deposit has been lodged with a tenancy deposit scheme.


If the deposit was held by the landlord and not placed in a tenancy deposit scheme then he will have to return the deposit to you without deduction. If you were to apply to Court for the return of the deposit because it has not been lodged with a tenancy deposit scheme then the Court will order the return of all of the deposit and levy a fine upon the landlord for three times the deposit amount and this would also be payable to you. You really need to check this with the landlord, if he has not lodged it in a TDS then you are in a very strong position and should speak to a local landlord and tenancy solicitor about making the application to Court.


If he has lodged it in a TDS and you do not agree with his proposed deductions then you will have to initiate the dispute resolution procedure detailed in the actual scheme, every scheme runs one of these for deposit disputes.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully reserved and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there is nothing on my paperwork about a tds,the tenancy started 26/08/2006 would i have been told if it was held in one all it says on my tenancy agreemnet is that the deposit is held by the landlord
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Yes, the landlord should have sent you details of the scheme shortly after it was deposited. It does not matter if the tenancy refers to it or not, by law he is required to place all deposits taken under ASTs in to a TDS.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.



Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions