Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

If an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement is coming to the

If an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement is coming to the end of its fixed term and both tenant and landlord wish to continue with the tenancy, does it automatically become a Periodic Tenancy or does a fresh contract need to be drawn up?
Submitted: 6 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hello TerryRussel292,

Thanks for your question.

A contract need not be drawn up. Any AST that runs past the fixed term automatically becomes a statutory periodic tenancy; it runs from one rent period to the next on the same terms as the preceding tenancy (save for the fixed term obviously).

If the landlord employs agent then they may want a new tenancy agreement put in place (because of their fee for this) but the landlord is not legally compelled to have one drawn up.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received.

Kind regards,