Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

The tennant in our property has left owing nearly three months

The tennant in our property has left owing nearly three months rent. what can we do to trace them and what is the best way of trying to recover the money owing
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid there is no magic bullet in these situations. You need to trace him (obviously) and sue him.

Did you obtain any references for the tenant before they moved in? if so, write to them and see if they have an address, if you used an agency contact them as well. Alternatively you could speak to an enquiry agent (you can google for a list of them in your area) to do some investigative work for you - make sure you agree a price beforehand.

As far as suing and keeping your costs down, really is the cheapest way of doing this and was designed for situation in which persons who are owed relatively small amounts of money where it is not cost effective to instruct a solicitor.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.7

Kind regards,