Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I currently have a short hold tenancy agreement on a property.

I currently have a short hold tenancy agreement on a property. Original agreement was for the family to stay in the property until December. I am now looking to sell the property and have given 3 months notice as per the tenancy agreement. The tennant has asked for me to delay this due to one of the tennants being pregnant and has quoted "Human Rights Legislation". Can i still serve notice or is there a clause around one of the main tennants being pregnant that i need to take into account?

HelloCustomer

Thanks for your question.

The fact that the tenant is pregnant does not affect your ability to serve a notice provided the notice is compliant with the usual landlord and tenancy legislation. Attempts to invoke the Human Rights Act in possession claims have had very limited success and none so far as I am aware that cover this situation, invite him to show you the precedent to which he refers; he won't be able to.

They are just trying to delay matters.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom