Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My agent did not pay my deposit into any scheme. I have now

My agent did not pay my deposit into any scheme. I have now moved out and he wants to take all the money for claims which are not valid. What can I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for you question.

If you are occupying on an Assured shorthold Tenancy (which you will be unless you receive notice from your landlord that the tenancy was to be merely an assured tenancy)) then your landlord must put the deposit monies in to a tenancy deposit scheme within 14 days of receipt. All deposits under ASTs have to be placed in such a scheme and you can sue the landlord for the return of the deposit and a fine of three times the amount of the deposit (payable to you) if it has not been placed in a TDS.

Formally write to the landlord and ask for details of the scheme in to which the deposit has been placed. State that you require a response within 7 days and are prepared to make an application to Court for the return of the monies and the fine)

If he does not reply go and see a local solicitor about applying to Court, state that you merely want him to write to your landlord in the first instance, occasionally a letter from a solicitor brings it home. If no reply us received he can then make an application for the return and the fine for you.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much the baove information. I realised that there are still a few deatils which I should ask you about. We were not given any contract. He came up with one quite a few weeks after we had moved in but it was so full of errors and things which I did not agree with that I sent it back unsigned and requested an amended copy. He did not however send this at any point. How does this affect things if at all?