Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Can a tennant reduce rental payments until a landlord has completed

Customer Question

Can a tennant reduce rental payments until a landlord has completed maintenance work he is obliged to do?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you are occupying the property under an assured shorthold tenancy then there is no automatic right to withhold rent if the landlord has not carried out repair work. Check your agreement but I would be very surprised if such a right were granted to you. If you do withhold rent then you run the risk of giving your landlord the right to serve a notice for possession on you.

If the Landlord has not completed the repair works then you should write formal letter to him giving him notice of the specific disrepair and request that he complete the works within a reasonable time (say, 14 days). Also state that if he does not complete the works within the time period you will pay to have them done yourself and will seek to claim the expense from him and are prepared to issue a claim against him if necessary.

You can issue you a claim yourself through

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I were to pay for repairs, can the cost of repairs be subtracted from rental payments.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

There seems be a generally right that you can in certain circumstances but I would usually advise to keep the issues separate and issue a claim in respect of the the repair expense. Moneyclaim is very cheap and easy to use, though you should certainly try a formal letter to him first.

The difficulty is that in withholding rent then if you were found to be doing this unreasonably (ie. timing, cost of work, too few quotes) then you could grant the landlord a right to terminate for non-payment of rent. Shelter has a good page on this process but, again, would approach with caution.

Thank you for your kind accept.