Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i have verbally agreed to continue my rent and now ive decided

i have verbally agreed to continue my rent and now ive decided to leave i havnt signed anything can i leave

HelloCustomer

Thank you for your question.

If you had a tenancy agreement that has now expired then you will be occupying the property on a statutory periodic tenancy. If you pay your rent on a monthly basis then you must serve your notice to terminate on the landlord giving one months notice with the notice to expire on a rent day (ie. the day when you pay your rent).

If this has been usefull please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have phoned my letting agent and they say if i have verbally agreed then i have to stay is this right, or can i definatly just give my months notice

Thanks

Stebdee

Stebdee,

It depends on what you have agreed with the Lanlord/Agent.

If you have agreed to a new fixed term following on from your previous tenancy then you will be bound by the same terms as to termination.

If you did not agree to a new fixed term and instead just continued to pay rent (or agreed that you would continue to pay rent but with no mention of a new fixed term) then you will be able to serve in writing the notice referred to in my original answer.

I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Tom

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I did verbly agree, they sent the contract out but we wernt happy with it so it was never signed it. Now we want to leave they said they would phone us to agree another contract but they never did we now have been living here with no contract for 1 month now. Is there definatly no way of moving house?

Thanks

Customer,

If you did not sign the contract for a new fixed term you should tell them that you occupy the property in the way mentioned in my original post because the contract has not been executed. Tell them that you will serve the notice (in writing) referred to in my original post and will vacate when the notice period has expired.

Please kindly click accept.

Tom