How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22618
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to know what year my house was built, as it is not stated

Resolved Question:

I need to know what year my house was built, as it is not stated on the deeds.
I live atXXXXX Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire HP4 2EA
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 years ago.

Can I have some more info please?

Is it registered at HM Land Registry? Is it newish or old. Approximately what year was it built? Do you need to know the exact year? Why? Is it for insurance purposes?

What deeds to do you have?

Thanks JL

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can only presume it is registered at HM Land Registry.
It is Early Victorian, around 1850. Other properties around our area are dated at 1845 etc.
As I am renovating the house, I want to know its exact age and I am interested in the history of the house and area.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 years ago.

What deeds do you have?

Why is the exact age relevant to renovation? Is it listed?

Do the 1845 houses have dates on them? Do they look like yours?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will have to get back to you on what deeds I have as I am at work at the moment.
I just want to know the exact age of my property as it is of interest to me and I want to know all about the history of my house.
It is not listed but it is within a Conservation area.
There is an old pub on the corner of Chapel Street called The Gardners Arms and its part of the Heritage Walk in Berkhamsted. It has a plaque saying built 1845.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 years ago.

if it is registered at HM Land Registry get the offical copies of title plan and register. It may refer to other docs which the land reg hold.


The Ordnance Survey have old maps which may show the area years ago. They go back in stages. Some very early maps are much less detailed.


There is no definitive answer to your question I am afraid, it is simply a case of researching as much as you can. That is why you havent found one.


Find out where your Local Records Office is and pay a visit. You will usually have to make an appointment and allow several hours if not days to find what you are looking for. the archvist will usually be very helpful! It is fascinating stuff and very absorbing but they will often only let you have access to one doc at a time. They will take copies for you for which they charge.


We had the same pproblem looking for mine records up here in N Wales. The rcords office had everything we wanted.




If it helps, please accept so that I get credit. Thanks





Stuart J and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you