Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Our Patio door is broken, a interior door is missing, The lendlord

Our Patio door is broken, a interior door is missing, The lendlord says as when he can afford it he will get round to it, how long should I wait?
Submitted: 6 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Check your tenancy agreement for any specific wording as to repair. However, the Landlord is under a general duty to keep the property in a good state of repair and maintenance. If it is in disrepair (ie. the interior door) you should request in a letter to the Landlord that he make the repair works within a reasonable time (eg. 14 days after the date of the letter) and keep a copy.

State in the letter that if he does not complete the repair you will pay for the works yourself and seek to claim the expense from him.

If he does not carry out the works you can pay for them to be done yourself and then claim the money from him by issuing a claim through

Do not withhold any rent from your landlord because of this issue - you would be in breach of contract.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regard,