Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

my boiler broke and wasnt fixed properly, a week later it broke

my boiler broke and wasnt fixed properly, a week later it broke again and i was without heating or hot water for a week over christmas, my landlord is saying im not entitled to a weeks rent back, is this true?
Submitted: 7 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The bad news is that unless there is a specific clause in your tenancy agreement allowing you to claim money on account of rent from your landlord then you will not be able to make a claim. You should check your tenancy agreement but I would be very surprised if such a right is granted to you.

Usually, disrepair does not entitle you to withhold rent from your landlord or claim money on account of rent from him.

In the future, if another items falls in to disrepair and your landlord does not repair it within a reasonable time following your request then you can pay for the works to be completed yourself and then reclaim the money from him by writing to him and sending the invoice. In the event that he refuses to pay you can issue a claim for the money yourself online through www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

I hope this helps, please kindy click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom