Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My husband I live in our own house, although the title deeds

My husband I live in our own house, although the title deeds and mortgage is in my name only. I pay the mortgage from my own bank account. My husband is potentially being sued for a large sum of money. If my husband declares himself bankrupt is our home at risk
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

In the event that your husband is made bankrupt it is only his assets which are at risk. This would include any assets he jointly owns. As long as he is not registered on the legal title to your property then your home is not at risk - although he lives there he does not have an interest that could properly said to be an asset.

You should make absolutely sure though by checking the official copies held on the property by following this link:-

Input your property address then select "property register" and pay the requsite fee and download the document. Check that you are the only registered proprietor list in the "Proprietorship Register". Note, the service is not available on Sundays.

If this has helped, please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,