How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7505
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we are not married.We rent our house from council can i change

This answer was rated:

we are not married.We rent our house from council can i change the locks whilst my partner is away



If you and your partner are both named on the Tenancy Agreement you have with the Council then you should not change the locks. If you do, you run the risk of your partner applying to the Court for an injunction against you. In effect you would then have to give your partner a set of the keys. This would merely result in the expense of changing the locks being lost. There is a possibility that your partner wouldn't apply for an injunction, but I would imagine when someone no longer has anywhere to live then they would investigate all avenues.


If you are the only named person on the Tenancy Agreement then you can change the locks and your partner will not able to obtain injunction as they do not have any interest in the property. If the tenancy agreement states that your partner is also to live at the property (even thought he is not named as a tenant) then the Council may seek to rehouse you if they were to find out that your partner has moved away from property.


If you are both on the Tenancy Agreement with the Council and you no longer wish to be housed with your partner then you could serve a Notice to Terminate tenancy to the Council (your tenancy agreement will state the notice you are required to give and you should make sure you comply with this). At the same time you could ask for a new tenancy on the property in your sole name. The danger is that the Council may reassess your housing needs based upon the fact that you are separated from your partner and seek to rehouse you in a smaller property.


I hope this is useful, if so please kindly click "accept".

Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions