Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I have a potterton profile, 50el, which this morning when I

I have a potterton profile, 50el, which this morning when I turned the thermostat over from timed to manual would not now fire, it was working this morning, now there is no pilot light and it's cold. The thermostat is working and is transmitting correctly (I've checked that) but still now heat, I checked other posts and it seems the reset button will not work as it has not clicked out, so there is nothing to press, any ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Last 3 hours only It was working perfectly this morning
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: That really depends on its it's something simple (hoping I'm missing something obvious) if not then no!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: dont think so

Perhaps not a boiler problem - do you have hot water?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but it was working this early morning so would have had time to head up the water then
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, 'it' being the boiler!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's all cold now, have discovered that I can turn the boiler on for hot water, (override the timer) but the central heating is not working! Very odd... upside boiler is alive, downside still no central heating, any ideas?

Do you have a picture you can upload of the airing cupboard?

Do you have any motorised valves?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
to motorised value, I have a 3 way value (Honeywell) and a pump, pump seems to be running fine now with the hot water on and the radiators have heat now, thinking replace the value! Thank you!

ok, when on heating only the lever on the valve will be slack (the valve is fully open and the pump is on), when on hot water only then the lever is tight and the pump is on

Can you check?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Andrew
All fixed, it was the motorised valve! Thank you help!
I can't seem to click on the rating stars for you, do you need to 'end' the answer?
Thanks Jane

Great news!

Well done