Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

We have a Remeha Aventa Boiler and a Draytom wireless

Customer Question

We have a Remeha Aventa Boiler and a Draytom wireless thermostat. The heating is intermittent. Sometimes it comes on OK but other times it wont come on automatically and then we have to go to the boiler and switch if on and off sometimes for hours until eventually it comes on . Sometimes after giving up o it it comes on on its own at various times e.g 10:30pm- which is not a time I have set on the thermostat-once it comes on we then cant seem to control the temperature and it will stay on all night at a high temperature despite me turning down the thermostat. We have had the boiler serviced and had various plumbers around to look at he boiler but they have said there is nothing wrong with the boiler. we have replaced the thermostat batteries but still the heating only works intermittently. Hot water seems fine. .Please can you help. Many Thanks Cheryl
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It started happening towards the end of last winter (Feb 2016) we had the boiler serviced but it still ocuured and then we havent needed heating since then until October 2016. The heating does eventually come on-its just we could have hours of being cold- we dont know when this will occur..
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I think so dependent on what the problem is. As i have explained we have already spent £100s of pounds on experts but to no avail:(
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No I think thats it.- we have had both the boiler and thermostat installed about 8 Years ago and it was working fine until last winter.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Actually it started not working in March 2015-then it was serviced and worked OK until Feb 2016.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 month ago.

Can you replace the batteries and sit the thermostat under the boiler for a couple of days just to rule out a thermostat fault?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks I did as you suggested but still only works intermittently and doesnt seem to respond to changes I make to Thermostat temperature.

Perhaps a faulty unit, but you will be unable to know if it is the transmitter or receiver and may need to change both