Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.

My system central heating system appears to have an

Customer Question

My system central heating system appears to have an electrical issue. The boiler live wire had broken off from the main electrics terminal box, I've cut it back and reconnected, (system is 25 years old), but after also replacing the 3amp fuse it continues to blow. I've checked all of the other wires into the junction box, and remade the ends where necessary. I've checked the boiler, (the pilot is out), and I'm wondering if this fault could have blown the thermocouple? The valve and pump were both changed about a year ago, I'd appreciate any thoughts?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: half a day so far.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: As it's a weekend yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 14 days ago.

Hi a thermocouple is not connected electrically, so its highly doubtful that your electrical fault has caused the Thermocouple to fail.
I would definitely disconnect the pump to see if that is faulty.
I presume you had a problem before or you wouldnt have known about the boiler wire.
it also may help to know what controls you have on the system. Valves, Programmer etc.