Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

As per photo attached, what's the best place for vent pipe &

Customer Question

As per photo attached, what's the best place for vent pipe & cold feed when 2x 2-port motorised valves and circulator pump installed in hotpress. From some research I'm thinking vent pipe should be before the circ pump and zone valves but I need expert advice before I complete fitting the cylinder and pipework.
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The f&e tank is directly above the hot water cylinder i.e. the attic above. Ideally, I would prefer not to have to do any further pipe runs from the external boiler and would therefore prefer to keep all pipework to be within the hotpress and attic above.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 months ago.

Vent from boiler always first connection and rising vertically all the way to the tank before any valves or pump.

H is the best shape with boiler flow into one side at the bottom, vent directly of the top of the same side of the H, cold feed into the other top of the H, out to the pump from the other both side of the H.

From the pump to split to both 2 ports with a bypass and differential bypass valve back to the return in case both 2 ports fail.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your response. Ok, referring to the original photo I attached: if I T-eed in the vent pipe where I have arrowed and labeled "main flow", rising straight up and over the f&e tank above, and send the feed into 'common return' pipe which will also be connected/t-eed to lower coil. Can you see any potential problems with this set-up?

Try this - I have tried to draw on the picture (it's a bit rough!)

Try again

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Only getting an error message with that link:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error><Code>NoSuchKey</Code><Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message><Key>Plumbers_Mate/1c73597a-b833-4342-8b0b-a712f66bca23_indirect+cylinder.jpg</Key><RequestId>DC63D9FCC6469C44</RequestId><HostId>IVrGUdCTcLhuBvxOAuUZs9olqUBD2AdEP7BABvzVdjJgFHOtLOuaF753OPxLNd6vh5QIMmTiQ3M=</HostId></Error>

Oh dear.

What you said sounds ok, but I just need to check it if you can draw it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Blue pipe: feed to main flow first, then red pipe: rising vent to over tank, then circ pump followed by valves.

Sounds ok, do you want to change the pipework and then send me a photo?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll do that tomorrow. Cheers.