Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering

Baxi wm51/3rs not heating radiators or water.pilot light is

Customer Question

Baxi wm51/3rs not heating radiators or water.pilot light is fine.pump near hot tank turns on and off when i adjust tank the past boiler would heat radiators even if tgermostat was turned off.the radiators would be slightly warm.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have removed mid actuator and the valve can be easily moved by hand.however boiler still not firing would replacing actuator solve anything?i doubt it.can it be the gas valve in the boiler?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
For your information one or two of the radiators do leak slightly
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 month ago.

The pump should come on at the same time as the boiler, so if the pump is running then I assume the 3 port valve is working correctly.

Are you able to check power to the boiler with a meter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately I dont own a meter.
FYI when i do turn up the dial on the boiler from off to 2 or so then i do hear a slight click from it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
FYI i only have option of hot water or water/c.heating combination i.e. two options.switching between the two doesnt seem to operate the mid actuator.i thought that its function was to do just that?

If you turn your heating up and your hot water off then the valve should open fully.

If you turn on your hot water and turn off your heating then the valve should spring shut again.

The boiler will not fire if there is a problem with this valve

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have option of water or water+heating.
As stated earlier,i have manually toggled the valve to the two different positions i.e. by hand.the resulting clunk in the pipes (i assume due to water pressure) suggests that the valve itself isnt sticking.secondly i could effortlesly operate the valve with my hand.however despite this boiler didnt fire up.therefore i think that the valve cant be ignoring the motorised actuator for now, what else could be the reason?

We need to know if the pump is running, then the boiler trying to fire up?

Doe the boiler have a small circular flue (fanned) or a large square one (room sealed)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pump turns on when i increase hot water tank thermostat.But boiker doesnt fire up.
Its a square flue (BAXI WM51/3RS room sealed).