Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber at performance plumbing and heating
89712187

I have a hot water issue. My bath hot water tap seems to

Customer Question

Hi. I have a hot water issue. My bath hot water tap seems to have suddenly stopped flowing through any hot water. All other hot water taps in the house are providing ht water fine
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Less than a week now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I need someone to advise me as to what is wrong and what the cost would be to fix it
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: You mean I need to put down a deposit 1st?
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just to clarify: I have 2 overhead water tanks (in my loft) and a hot water cylinder. The boiler and hot water cylinder are functioning fine as I get hot water properly. All hot water taps in the house are providing hot water fine except the one in the bath tub. It has ceased to provide any water. The cold water tap in the bath tub is providing cold water fine. Not sure what has suddenly caused the hot water tap to cease. If I leave the hot water tap on, sometimes I get a few drops of water but that is it then.
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 3 months ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this. if it is only a tub valve that is not getting any hot water the problem is at the valve. on possibility but not likely if it just happened with no work done is the valve for the hot water side is off or the more likely problem is either the valve is clogged on the hot water side or the thermostat in the valve is bad and keeping it stuck closed. if you need to call a plumber out they should defiantly be able to fix the faucet and should not be too difficult. if you have any more questions please let me know. if not i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars at the top of your page and thank you for using just answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure I completely understand your response. We have not done anything with the supply valves. So without any work done and without having turned any vales, the fact that the hot water tap is not flowing through any water indicates that it is the source (of supply) that is the problem.I have checked the hot water tap pipe under the bath and it is cold which definitely looks like the pipe is either blocked along the way or its source is the problem.From your experience where would the bath hot water tap normally get its water from - directly from the water cylinder?You mentioned ""the thermostat in the valve could be bad". Where would I normally see this valve - outside the water cylinder?If I had to call out a plumber, given that the hot water tap pipe is probably under the bathroom flooring, does this mean they will potentially have to open up the floor boards to assess the damage? How else could they identify the source of the issue especially if it was a blockage?
How long could such a job take to fix and any idea roughly on costs from your perspective?

as i said it is highly unlikely that a valve is closed if no other work has been done but that is the only other possibility. if it is clogged it will most likely be clogged at the valve. any way to diagnose it will require dissembling the valve. all the work is done from the front of the valve. there should be no reason to cut the floor up to repair unless the pipe is damaged depending on what kind of valve it is will determine what thermostat it has but it will be internal on the valve sometimes part of the cartridge if it is a single lever. it should take a qualified plumber about 1 hr to fix depending on whatever your local company charges an hr will determine the price. if this answers your questions i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars at the top of your page and thank you for using just answer.