Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.

My greenstar heatslave II has a 9f 856 lockout code,there's

Customer Question

Hi,my greenstar heatslave II has a 9f 856 lockout code,there's plenty of oil in the tank,it's happened because either my son or my dog turned the stop cock type thing,blocking the oil flow, causing the resets to fail and switch the code from 855 to 856, locking the boiler completely. I've now found the source of the problem (aforementioned switch) is there any way of resetting the 856 lockout code so I can get it working again?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Just last night it happened,and because it was dark I didn't even think to check the stop cock, tried the reset without realising there was a limit on resets available. Woken this morning to realise the source of the problem,but I'm locked out due to the resets. No heating or hot water.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Aye looking at guides online it seems pretty straightforward,especially if I can just hard reset the boiler,allowing me the resets I need, shouldn't even need the hardware bleeding
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just that basically
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 2 months ago.

I must admit i am not sure on the Greenstar. but Hard Lock outs for Riello Burners are usually cured by removing the power for 10 seconds. you must Isolate it completely. Turning it off by the timer will not work.

Expert:  Brian replied 2 months ago.

Excuse the poor grammar and spelling please my system is resetting every few seconds and i cannot correct

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cheers ***** ***** back to me,any pointers as to where/how I'd disconnect the power? Wired directly into the house so pretty sure there's no 'switch', is there a box or some other sort of thing I can look out for? Or alternatively would just disconnecting the power from the boiler console work? Thanks for your help so far.
Expert:  Brian replied 2 months ago.

There should definitely be a mains switch in the house but if you can take out the power at the boiler by unplugging it or similar that should do the trick or maybe there is a boiler fuse at the consumer unit