Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Engineer
Experience:  Domestic Gas, Commercial Gas, LPG, Unvented Hot Water, Part P Electrical, Commercial Catering
46681511

I have a Vokera Compact HE boiler and found your previous

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Vokera Compact HE boiler and found your previous answers about a boiler that doesn't fire up, indicates temporary fault (rapid flashing green light) whenever hot water is requested. I've taken front panel and interior casing off and accessed the burn chamber. I see a single probe rising into the chamber with one end very burned. No spark is produced when attempting to fire (gas switched off before I tried). The burn chamber doesn't indicate any space for a second probe.
In addition to this, the electric motor at the top of the unit does not spin up at all. Not sure if the burn chamber must be going before this happens.
Pressure is at ~1.8 bar, I have tried to fiddle with reset/power timings to no avail. Issue seems to be the probe not sparking up. I am unsure of how to remove the probe, if this is even necessary given no sign of a spark is produced.
Category: UK Plumbing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Further.I can confirm that the air pressure switch clicks when blowing into the connecting rubber hose, as if something is moving inside. The electric motor kicks in for a split second before stopping - the little turny bit moves slightly then stops and nothing further happens.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 9 months ago.

Can you confirm if the boiler will fire for heating?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Boiler will not fire for CH. No sign of a spark is visible through the viewing window, but I can hear the pressure switch click.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cancel that - I left it for a few minutes and set all the radiators to full. I noticed that there was movement within the boiler as I put my hand to it and felt something as if a fan going inside. After a short wait the boiler clicked again and fired, solid green light and I saw flames in the viewing window! It shut down after about 10 seconds and resumed its previous behaviour of a rapidly flashing green light.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It appears to work properly now. There is some delay between leaving hot taps open and it kicking in, but is able to fire up. Not sure what I did while examining it yesterday but it seems to have worked.

Ok, keep an eye on the fan and air pressure switch.

If it happens again come back and we can go through some electrical checks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will-do. Thanks for the quick responses

No problem