Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

I have a BG 330+ boiler which works OK except that

Customer Question

I have a BG 330+ boiler which works OK except that sometimes, (a couple of time a month) when the temperature displayed in the front display window gets down below 30 deg it struggles to fire up. It makes repeated attempts to do so but each time, after a few seconds it fails, and then tries again. Each time it tries the temperature goes up by one degree until, eventually, when it get up to 45 deg it does successfully fire up properly. This might not be much of a problem except that while it is going through this process it make an irritating loud noise a bit like an old car engine turning over when you are trying to start it, i.e. a werr... werr... werr,.. werr kind of noise.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: I think it is about five years old and it has been making this kind of noise, sometimes a lot worse and in slightly different circumstances, since last autumn. I had the boiler serviced by a local engineer and he checked that there was no build up of debris in the heat exchanger and a few other things. Unfortunately, I can't make it go into this not firing up mode at will, so he could not observe the problem directly.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The guy who did the servicing said it could be either the fan of the PCB. He'd be happy to change either or both but they are expensive. I want to find someone who really know what the problem is and can fix it. I believe it is probable a set-up or adjustment issue that someone who knows these boilers well could fix easily.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Plumber about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Has the boiler ever been serviced and if so, what was the service done?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the boiler was serviced last November. It was a full annual service and included inspection of the combustion chamber which was seen to be in a good condition.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 5 months ago.

Did they flush it also?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think so.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 5 months ago.

There are quite a few things that need to be checked. The PCB certainly could be the issue but it may be related to scale on the heat exchanger, fuel restriction, water flow restriction, flow sensor failure, venting or condensation drain blockage. The most suspect to me would be the fan pressure switch. There may be some dust or blockage in the tubing for the fan pressure switch or a crack in the tubing that is preventing the pressure switch to turn on the fan from remaining activated. You are also correct to not have anyone work on it who wants to replace parts as a repair. There is testing that can be done to determine exactly what the issue is.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any idea how I can find someone who can and will do what you suggest as I am not a plumber or heating engineer?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 5 months ago.

If you call the manufacturer of the boiler they should be able to recommend qualified people in your area. There should be a customer service number in your manual.