Brian
Brian, Plumber
Experience:  16 yrs. experience as plumber, including full bathroom and kitchen installations.
63187465

I have a glow worm 24c combi boiler. It manages the central

Customer Question

I have a glow worm 24c combi boiler. It manages the central heating, but when I have a shower the water cycles from hot to freezing cold and back again. The boiler fires up no problem and the pressure is ok.
Category: UK Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 5 months ago.

Hi This definitely sounds like a problem with the plate heat exchanger.
When you open a tap or taps does the boiler fire up then after a little while shut down then repeat the sequence?
If yes you have either a scaled or dirty plate heat exchanger. this will need either descaling and cleaning , if its very bad then i would suggest a replacement.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i mainly notice it when showering and yes the boiler fires up then shuts down again then repeats the sequence. I have a British Gas service plan where the boiler is covered for repairs with unlimited callouts. The thing that's worrying me about your diagnosis is that the small print on my policy says that they will not repair faults caused by scale or sludge build up. Is there a way round this, i.e get them to replace the plate heat exchanger? I can't afford a big bill and I've been paying for the British Gas service plan for a number of years. I'm disabled with a spinal injury and hot showers and baths ease some of my symptoms.
Expert:  Brian replied 5 months ago.

Hi if its plate heat exchanger it doesnt matter what you do it all becomes apparent when they look inside unfortunately so im sorry but i cant suggest anyway of getting round it.